This article explains the display behavior a place’s label or icon within the map. Relavent for VisioMove:
- v2.1.0 – version current.
To provide the end user with an improved experience when viewing a Visioglobe map, we’ve re-thought the behavior of how the place name and icon are displayed.
In VisioMove v2.1.0, a size policy concept was introduced. The size policy allows us to chose between two behaviors:
- Fit Rectangle – The size of the marker is constrained to fit within a boundary. The boundary is determined by the place’s label within VisioMapEditor. This is the default behavior when setting place name or icon.
- Constant Scale – The size of the marker is controlled by it’s scale attribute
In this blog, we’re only going to discuss the default behavior.
The place name orientation is fixed except when the camera “switches” sides, at which point the orientation changes 180 degrees. This ensures the name can be read from left to right and is never upside down.
The default size policy is “Fit Rectangle”. This means the scale of the font will be dynamically adjusted as a function of the place name’s length. The longer the place name, the smaller the font will appear. The font size is calculated so that the place name fits exactly within it’s boundary. This has the following implications:
- place name font size varies throughout the map as a function of the name’s length and the size of the label within VisioMapEditor
- place name font sizes may appear larger than before, making them easier to read when viewing the map
- more predictable results when comparing the font size between VisioMapEditor and the published map.
The icon will always appear facing the camera.
The default size policy is “Constant Scale”. There is a scale associated with the place icon. By default the scale is 1m, which means the icon will appear to be 1m in size within the map. Independent of the camera’s zoom level, the icon will always appear to have the correct scale within the map. We illustrate this in the screen shots below:
|VisioMove v2.1.0 (near)||VisioMove v2.1.0 (far)|
In both screen shots, the place icon has a scale of 5 meters. No matter what the camera zoom level, the icon respects is 5m scale (i.e. it grows as the camera zooms and shrinks when the camera moves away).
Place names and Icons
Setting the place name and icon at the same time isn’t supported. The resulting behavior is undefined.